A Voter id, additionally known as EPIC (Electors photo identity Card) is a photo identification card issued through the Election commission of India to all Indian citizens eligible to vote. The motive of voter id is to serve as an identification evidence for voters, increase efficiency and save you impersonation and fraud at some stage in free and honest democratic elections. This card is also typically known as an election card, voter’s card, or Voter id card.
Structure of Voter ID
A voter ID card is an accepted form of personal identification in India as it is issued by a government body. The voter ID consists of the following details:
- A unique Serial number
- Photograph of the cardholder
- A hologram containing respective state/national symbol
- Name of card holder
- father’s Name of card holder
- Card holder’s
- Card holder’s date of Birth
The card holder’s residential address and signature of the issuing authority (Electoral registration officer) are on the rear side of the voter ID card.
Documents required to get a voter ID in India
To get a voter identity card, you need two types of documents, which you can scan and upload. These are as follows.
- One age proof document (such as the ones listed below):
- Birth certificate issued by municipal authorities or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths or Baptism certificate
- Birth certificate from the school (Government / Recognised) last attended by the applicant or any other recognised educational institution
- If a person in class 10 or more pass, he should give a copy of the mark sheet of class 10, if it contains a date of birth as a proof of date of birth
- Marksheet of class 8 if it contains a date of birth
- Marksheet of class 5 if it contains a date of birth
- Indian Passport
- PAN card
- Driving License
- Aadhar letter issued by UIDAI
- One Residence proof document (such as those listed below) will also need to get a voter ID card:
- Current bank passbook / Kisan passbook/post office current passbook
- Ration card
- Indian Passport
- Driving License
- Income tax assessment order
- Latest rent agreement
- Latest water/telephone/ electricity/gas connection bill for that address, either in the name of the applicant or that of their immediate relatives such as parents
- Any post/ letter/mail delivered through the Indian Postal Department in the applicant’s name at the address of ordinary residence
You will also need a passport-sized photograph.
Points to note before applying for a Voter ID
Voter ID is an important document required for an Indian citizen as it enables him/her to exercise a fundamental duty of voting in democratic elections. Voter ID also serves as a proof of identity and address.
Here are the following things to keep a note of:
- Applicants must be of a minimum legal age of 18 years
- They should be of sound mind, free of criminal charges and not financially bankrupt
- They should fill out the relevant documents such as Form 6 and ensure that they provide relevant original documents
- Applicants must solely apply for Voter ID only through government or government approved websites and centres
- Applicants must ensure details such as spelling of their name, date of birth, address and so on are correct
- Applicants must also ensure that all information that is provided is legally correct in all aspects
- On successfully receiving the Voter ID, applicants must re-verify their documents and Voter ID to see if the information is correct.
Step by step process to apply for voter ID card online
Once you have gathered all the required documents, you need to start the process of applying online. Follow these steps to apply for a voter ID card online.
- Go the to the National Voter Services Portal and click Apply online for registration of new voter / due to shifting from AC. Alternatively, you may directly go to the NVSP Form 6 page.
- Select language from the drop-down menu at the top and then fill in all the details requested. This includes your name, age, address, etc. You’ll also have to upload the relevant documents as mentioned above.
- Once you’ve filled up the form, double-check everything and then click Submit at the end of the page.
Now you will receive an email with a link that lets you track your voter ID application status. It may take around 30 days for your application to be processed and for a voter ID to be issued.
How to track Voter ID Application Status?
Voter ID applicants can now track the status of their application on the State Election Commission website. Each Indian state has their respective election commission website. Refer the image below taken as an example.
To track the status of voter ID:
- Visit the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) official website.
- Select ‘Know the Status of Your Application for Enrolment’.
- You can also apply on the National Voters’ Services Portal and select ‘Search your Name in the electoral roll’.
Step 1 – Fill the application number or EPIC number.
Step 2 – Enter the following details:
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- District constituency
Now select search and get information on the status of your voter ID.
What to do if you have not received Voter ID
If you haven’t received the Voter ID, not to worry. Follow the instructions below:
- Visit the nearest election office or the CEO official website
- Enter your reference number and details that you received while submitting form 6
- Select ‘Track Status’
- You will see the updated status of your application
If there are any discrepancies in receiving your voter ID, you can physically visit the state election office and rectify things.
There are some common questions about voter ID online applications we’ve tried to answer below.
Can anyone apply for voter ID online?
Anyone above the age of 18 can apply for a voter ID online in India. However, some persons are not eligible to be on electoral rolls. This includes those who have been declared to be of unsound mind by a competent court; or prisoners; or disqualified from voting due to election-related offences or other corrupt practices, among other reasons.
What are the minimum age and maximum age for applying for a voter ID card?
The minimum age for applying for a voter ID in India is 18 years. Note that you can’t be registered as a voter if you aren’t 18 years old on January 1 of the year the elections are held. You’ll have to wait for the next calendar year to vote. There is no maximum age for applying for a voter ID. Anyone above the age of 18 is eligible to vote unless they fall under the exceptions mentioned above.
How can NRIs apply for a voter ID card?
NRIs or Overseas Citizens of India can apply for a voter ID online by filling Form 6A on the NVSP website.